Sunday, June 3, 2012

Angels Are With Us


As I have been hiking and ridding this week with the constant thoughts  on the fact I have a knowing that  there is a higher power in my life and know I am not alone!  This gives me strength energy and focus!  This  a post I made several years ago but after the the news I received about the health of some one close to me, the spiritual side of this journey is starting to unfold!
Life’s Angels and Life Guards
During my third year of residency I admitted one of my favorite patients. I had been caring for her for the previous three years. She was diagnosed with cancer and had completed her surgery when we first met. She was starting her first round of chemotherapy and it was my job to admit her to the hospital and get her tuned up, so to speak, and ready to start treatment. Over the next three years we became close and it seemed like I was always the one to admit her for chemotherapy or to treat the side effects of the toxic regiment she was receiving. She was a local Librarian and very well read. This gave us a lot to talk about on those long stays in the hospital. She was always up beat and dressed with a smile. She would always state in a matter of fact way, “I am going to beat this Dr Nichols. With your help we will beat this! Do not give up on me!"

This night was different. She was very weak and I could tell she was not doing well. When all the paper work was done, she asked to make one change. That was to her Code status. She had given up the fight and asked to be a “No Code”. I tried to talk her out of it. Despite my best arguments she would not have it any other way. She then asked to talk to me alone without the medical student or the junior resident.
When everyone had left the room she preceded to explain to me how I had been her Guardian Angel throughout this ordeal looking after her, making sure all her needs were met, and that she had the best care possible. She thanked me and wanted me to know she had come to the hospital that night to die in peace. She was crystal clear I was to follow her wishes regarding her “No Code” status. She then went on to tell me that the wish she is going to make at the gates of heaven was to come back to earth and be my personal angel. She wanted to repay me for all that I had done for her. She said she is going to sit on my shoulder and look out for me and protect me from harm. We talked for a few more minutes; I gave her a hug and went on with the duties of being on call.
At about 2 A.M.; I got a call from the charge nurse to come to my patient’s room. When I arrived she had passed on and I had to pronounce her dead. What a night.
Since then I have come to appreciate that we are not going through this life alone and we all share a responsibility to look after one another. Either in the capacity as Angel or in what I like to call Life Guards.
This past Fall my life was upside down. I had crashed and burned. I was in a tough place. Many of my very close friends and family members were going through some very ugly circumstances and I had a patient die just a few days ago. Deaun, my wife, was at the end of her rope with me and knew I needed help.
She spoke with a very good friend of ours to come and get my butt back into the game. To this day I do not think he knows why he was called. He showed up very positive and full of life! His life is just as out of control as mine. He rarely has the extra time to drop everything, but this day he did. I gave all the subtle excuses why I could not mountain bike that day. The bike needed this and that fixed. I had gained 10 pounds since our last ride and no way could I keep up with him. He kept pressing and fixing my bike as we talked, telling me the whole time it would be ok. Just a ride for fun! Before I knew it the bike was fixed and we were on our way! This was one of the best rides to date! EVER!
Jaren, you saved my life that day in more ways than one. I know now we all need to stay in tune with that inner voice when it calls. Just like in Magnum PI. Listen to IT! Do not ignore the prompting to help a fellow traveler. You never know when you are being called upon to be that life guard for someone.

Whether you are an Angel or a Life Guard, the small things you do for others do not go unnoticed. Strive to be an Eagle soaring above and willing to serve and go the extra mile. Do not be a Duck and sit around quacking about how bad things are.
Thank You Jaren for being a great friend!

Jaren and I have had many great Mt bike rides, hikes and a powder ski days since then.  I know  that neither one of us will ever forget ( I have always wounder if his toe nails ever grew back, they turned back and fell off after skiing a  mountain  that was so steep the pressure from his boots destroyed them).  God bless great friends!

 I am blessed to have great family and friends in my life!  Thank you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Right Here! Right Now!

So, have you ever asked your self the question  "how do People change?:  The Tim Farris Pod Cast is one of my go to pod cast that I lis...